In this instalment of the Diversity and Inclusion podcast series, Mark Baxter and Stephen Kwa discuss their experiences as gay men in the profession.
Discussion topics include:
- Societal shifts towards acceptance of same-sex attracted people
- Being a minority within a minority
- Conservative attitudes in families and the workplace
- Straight allies and the importance of stepping up to the plate to encourage diversity
- Coming out vs. going back into the closet
- Mixed experiences with homophobia in the workplace
- Gay parents and modern families
- How the Actuaries Institute can foster better diversity and inclusion on LGBT issues
- Advice for LGBT actuaries in their career
Mark Baxter is Chief Risk Officer (CRO) at MLC Australia. He was previously the Chief Risk Officer at QBE Insurance and is a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
Stephen Kwa is the Head of Product, Fixed Income and Multi-Asset at Schroder Investment Management Australia. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
CPD: Actuaries Institute Members can claim two CPD points for every hour of reading articles on Actuaries Digital.