Dipping into Diversity
LGBTIQ+ in the Profession (Diversity and Inclusion)
In this instalment of the Diversity and Inclusion podcast series, Mark Baxter and Stephen Kwa discuss their experiences as gay men in the profession.
Discussion topics include:
- Societal shifts towards acceptance of same-sex attracted people
- Being a minority within a minority
- Conservative attitudes in families and the workplace
- Straight allies and the importance of stepping up to the plate to encourage diversity
- Coming out vs. going back into the closet
- Mixed experiences with homophobia in the workplace
- Gay parents and modern families
- How the Actuaries Institute can foster better diversity and inclusion on LGBT issues
- Advice for LGBT actuaries in their career
Mark Baxter is Chief Risk Officer (CRO) at MLC Australia. He was previously the Chief Risk Officer at QBE Insurance and is a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
Stephen Kwa is the Head of Product, Fixed Income and Multi-Asset at Schroder Investment Management Australia. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivatives CC BY-NC-ND Version 4.0.
CPD: Actuaries Institute Members can claim two CPD points for every hour of reading articles on Actuaries Digital.