The Actuarial Hackathon Committee is excited to provide a much anticipated update on its very first actuarial hackathon event, sponsored by Finity Consulting, supported by the Actuaries Institute and powered by the Young Actuaries Program.
We’ve worked hard on preparing and organising the logistics of the event, setting key dates and venues and building partnerships with not-for-profit organisations. We are happy to confirm that that we will be partnering with the following charities to help solve their problems:
- Cancer Council NSW
- Compassion Australia
- Cure Brain Cancer Foundation
- Heart Foundation
- Life Changing Experiences Foundation
- Opportunity International Australia
- Starlight Children Foundation
- The Benevolent Society
- The Fred Hollows Foundation
- Wesley Mission
Any member of the institute regardless of background and years of experience is welcome. We are currently looking for more volunteers so if you’d like to use your actuarial skillset to make a meaningful contribution to society – register now!
Volunteers will work together in small teams and with their respective not-for-profit organisation to develop a solution to a real business problem.
As an example, the types of problems will vary from:
- Estimating long-term impacts and outcomes of programs and initiatives
- Client segmentation and understanding client journeys
- Data analytics and visualisation to understand drivers of experience and draw meaningful insights
- Predictive modelling to estimate the likelihood of a certain event e.g. lapse/cancellation rates
- Building long term projection models to estimate expected inflows and outflows
It’s a fantastic way to meet and learn from other passionate actuaries and earn CPD points while you’re at it!
The hackathon will run during the month of May (after exams of course) and the teams will present their solutions to the not-for-profit organisations held on the night of Tuesday 5 June 2018.
Teams will be presenting their ideas at the UNSW City Campus.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email Emily.email@example.com
CPD: Actuaries Institute Members can claim two CPD points for every hour of reading articles on Actuaries Digital.